Essential oils have been used in aromatherapy for centuries to help enhance wellbeing and have a positive effect on mood – whether that’s to help relax, uplift or re-energise. It can be difficult to know where to begin though, especially as using them comes with a safety element attached. But once you know how and why to use them, you’ll soon start experiencing the many benefits of essential oils. Discover our full guide below.
Essential oils are natural oils made from highly concentrated plant extracts. They’re strong, potent and powerful, meaning a couple of drops go a long way, so should be handled carefully. Most essential oils should be diluted with a base – or carrier - oil such as Jojoba Carrier Oil if you’re applying them directly to the skin or even in the bath – this helps to prevent any skin reactions and also helps the body to absorb the oil more effectively. Dilutions can vary depending on the essential oil you’re using but generally, aim for six drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier.
1. Mix with water in a spray bottle and mist over furniture or bed linen
2. Add a few drops to a warm bath
3. Diffuse essential oil with a diffuser or vaporiser
4. Apply to the wrist, temples, feet or behind ears (make sure it’s diluted first)
5. Inhale by adding a couple of drops to tissue and breathing in deeply
Different essential oils come with their own characteristics and benefits. Along with having unique scents, they can help with energy levels, stress and aiding relaxation. Whatever you want to use essential oils, here’s what we recommend:
• To help with concentration and focus: Rosemary Pure Essential Oil
Scent is strongly tied with emotion and memory, so try different essential oils to find which one works for you. Shop our full range of pure essential oils here.